1. Manchester City vs. Everton – English Premiere
Everton squeaked into a Europa League slot last season while Man City finished 3rd. Everton is only arguably in the upper echelon of Premier clubs.
B. Malaga vs. Eibar – La Liga
Noob’s favorite kinds of non-North American matches to select:
A) ones which pit a leagues’ top clubs against one another
2) those which are important for at least one side in terms of league championship and/or qualifying for major post-season events
C) Competitive matchups from further down league standings, and games from soccer-lesser countries’ leagues from around the globe.
Welcome to the magical adventure of C!
Malaga: “The Anchovies; Now owned by some Qatari d00d. Has been banned some from postseason events recently over its debts.
Eibar: “The Gunsmiths”; only promoted for first time to La Liga in 2013-14. Is fan-owned, by people from 69 countries worldwide
These sides finished in 11th and 10th last season respectively.
3. Pumas UNAM vs. Morelia – Liga MX
Morelia finished 4th in the last Clausura.
4. Al-Ain vs. Al-Hilal – AFC Champions League
Asia’s top club event, this one pits very solid sides from U.A.E. And Saudi Arabia together in the the quarterfinals. This is the first leg of the two-legged tie (first match of two) for the right to get curb-stomped by Persepolis.
5. Zaglebie Lubin vs. Wisla Krakow – Poland Ekstraklasa
This may be the best European League (19th) Noob has paid little to no attention to. And you’re league name is even cool. Lubin didn’t even finish in the top half last season, but early here and now they are third. Wisla Krakow won it.
No. Stick to cheeseburgers, evil kitty.
6. Valur vs. Grindavik – Iceland Urvalsdeild
I’m getting the hang of spelling the name of Iceland’s Premiere League. But other braining was sacrificed.
7. Ventspils vs. FK Liepaja – Latvia Virsligas
This is only the 41st-ranked league in Europe, of 55. But they taunt Estonia’s top league mercilessly (#42).
Jealous much, Latvia?
8. Malaysia U23 vs. Myanmar U23 – Southeast Asian Games
Neither team has lost and Myanmar is already guaranteed to graduate from the group stage into the semifinals.
9. Brunei U23 vs. Laos U23 – Southeast Asian Games
One of these squads is going to get their first point or points of the SEA Games!
10. Ahal vs. Balkan – Turkmenistan Yokary Liga
Human rights, shmuman schights! They’re playing football and the Noob as you covered. The top-ranked club hosts #3.
What the actual f–…